Microsoft App Agent – customer backed up SQL DBs to “wrong” Data Domain

Working with a customer on their first ever implementation of the Microsoft App Agent, and will hopefully be setting up replication soon (depending on whether I get replies to one of my other posts here about where the documentation is for that setup), but have discovered something else in the process.

The customer has SQL servers that operate at two different campuses, and each campus has a Data Domain local to it. The initial implementation and testing of the Microsoft App Agent was performed with the SQL servers and the Data Domain on the secondary campus before I started my part of the project. Over the course of the customer moving forward with their testing and further implementation of the agent on other SQL servers, I have discovered that they have also implemented the agent on the primary site SQL servers as well – except they have specified the secondary site Data Domain as the target for the SQL backups.

So, at this time, it would appear that the primary Data Domain didn’t even have an MTree created on it yet for the agent SQL backups. However, we do still have to set up replication between the 2 Data Domains for the SQL data.

So – is there any way for the replication to be set up that will allow replication of the existing data in the MTree on the secondary DD to the primary DD in a manner that once the replication is done, the customer can update his primary site SQL backup configurations to point to the primary DD, and the backups will be less “painful”? Also, even if replication can’t help with the initial local primary backup performance, is there anything I need to consider when setting up the local DD for local Microsoft App Agent backups with respect to the replication configuration? Such as – do I need to make sure I have unique MTree names that differentiate between data from primary site backups versus secondary site backups?

Not sure what options I have because I’m not even sure what kind of replication the Microsoft App Agent should use at this point (and I would gladly RTFM if I could find the FM).

All comments/feedback appreciated – thanks.

• No Related Posts

Re: Can not “disk replacement” by USM

hello all,

I have a EMC VNX 5100.

One of my disks is broken.

When I try to replace disk with USM, I get an error in the following steps. (when analyzing system process)

– Software revision ==> OK

– Hardware Model ==> OK

– SP Managed ==> OK

– Identify Replacement Candidate ==> OK

– Subsystem Faults ==> X

– Event Log ==> X

– Disk Drive Transitions ==> OK

How I can solve this problem?

• No Related Posts

Your Business Data… For Good

EMC logo

Picture a farm that uses 95% less water and grows up to 390 times more food. Don’t imagine a wide-open field of grain; these crops grow without soil or sunlight. AeroFarms CEO and Co-Founder David Rosenberg explains how his company uses cutting-edge data analyses and technology to re-imagine how the human race can stay fed as populations rise and resources dwindle.

Update your feed preferences

submit to reddit

• No Related Posts

Oracle RMAN Agent for DD – clarification of replication setup

Relative to what I’ve been able to gather from the separate documentation (because there doesn’t seem to be any consolidated documentation for it – big surprise), it would appear that the Oracle RMAN Agent for DD can use managed file replication in order to have the Oracle RMAN backup data on both the DD local to the Oracle server as well as on a remote DD system as well.

Not an Oracle guru (barely a “grasshopper”), and more familiar with other DD replication, so I have some questions:

1) Guessing that I need to configure managed file replication on the Data Domains before having Oracle try to use it; is this correct, and are there any important guidelines, such as MTree naming (because the customer already has MTrees with the same names on these different Data Domains for backing up local app data – so if the replication pair is going to try to create a name on the target, I have to make sure there isn’t already a storage unit there with that name)

2) Once the DD MFR is set up, is everything pretty much “handled” by the Oracle RMAN commands, or do I have to set up any kind of replication schedule on the DD?

Cal C.

• No Related Posts

Re: Documentation for Microsoft App Agent DD replication configuration?

The following is an excerpt from the Microsoft App Agent documentation:

To enable the backup replication and subsequent restore from a secondary Data

Domain system, the user ID or primary group ID of the DD Boost users on the primary

and secondary systems must be identical.

You must meet specific configuration requirements to enable the restore of replicated

backups from a secondary Data Domain system.

The Knowledgebase Article number 456734, titled Configuration of DDBoost Users on

Source and Destination DDRs for MTree Replication, provides more details. The article

is available on the Support website at

That’s great – except the Support site can’t find that KB number or that doc title.

So – where are the instructions for this configuration?

• No Related Posts

Re: ScaleIO and Spectre/Meltdown – performance impact?

Afternoon all

Is anyone at EMC doing any studies to see what impact we might expect with ScaleIO if we were to apply the patches for various platforms? I see some scare-stories warning of between 5 and 30% impact, and as I think not many people have a spare ScaleIO implementation going, it would be useful to see some results and an impact statement from the vendor.

Is this being done? And with what sort of workloads if so? Has anyone else come across any such studies? I spotted this on theregister today (Spectre and Meltdown fixes: How will they affect storage? • The Register) and it brought up some points that might relate to ScaleIO and how it would handle under these circumstances.

Jeff Ready: “I would expect SPC benchmarks (which drive pure storage performance) to be affected the most on systems which utilise software-defined storage via a mid-layer filesystem. CPU utilisation around operations on that filesystem will increase measurably. VSA-based architectures, which most companies in HCI use, fall into this category.

Personally, I’m most concerned that with a HyperV installation and VMs galore running on each node, that we may experience significant impact, so it would be good to get some stats before we begin patching.

• No Related Posts

Browser IE 11 not responding after install latest version of proxyclient

I need a solution

Hi all,

I have two issue with proxyclient :

1.  I have an issue regarding proxyclient. the main issue is IE browser always not reponding/stuck when we open the app IE. this is happen after we installing the proxyclient on windows 7.

2. other issue is statistics active proxy client not show on bluecoat proxysg.

we need solution to solve this issue. 

puji riawan.

• No Related Posts