After un-stacking a Cisco switch in my IBM blade center I can no longer ping the management IP I had configured on my management VLAN. The only item I see that changed is that the Bladecenter AMM added a internal Ethernet management port. There has been some discussion on reddit. Prior to un-stacking this VLAN interface was working.
I still haven’t found a resolution that would explain why this isn’t working or how to allow access over the current management VLAN. If possible I would like to keep L3 routing off on the switch.
As far as testing I have configured an access port and truck port native to the management VLAN. I connected a laptop with a static IP within the management VLAN range to these ports and was not able to ping or access the swith. When the switch is connected it does pass traffic, as expected, on all ports/VLANs. However I was still unable to ping or SSH the switch directly.
For testing purposes:
- I have configured an access port and truck port native to the management VLAN, I’ve configured a laptop with a IP in the management VLAN to connect to these test ports.
- I’ve devices on other VLAN are able to connect and pass traffic though this switch.
- The switch its self cannot ping other devices when using no source, the FE interface as source, or the management VLAN IP as the source.
- I’ve removed the management VLAN IP, and configured the FastEthernet port with the management VLAN IP.
- I suspect this doesn’t work as I cannot set a VLAN onto the FastEthernet port
- I’ve removed the default gateway with, and without, the VLAN ID configured and with the FasEthernet port configured.
Here is a partial config
no service pad
service timestamps debug datetime msec
service timestamps log datetime msec
no service password-encryption
enable secret ...
no aaa new-model
clock timezone EST -5 0
switch 1 provision ws-cbs3110g-s-i
system mtu routing 1500
ip domain-name abc.def
vtp mode transparent
crypto pki ...
spanning-tree mode rapid-pvst
spanning-tree extend system-id
spanning-tree pathcost method long
no spanning-tree vlan 1-4094
port-channel load-balance src-dst-ip
vlan internal allocation policy ascending
name traffic N
name traffic NN
name traffic NNN
name network management
ip ssh time-out 60
ip ssh version 2
ip address 192.168.x.x 255.255.255.0
description used to test all vlans
switchport trunk native vlan XXX
switchport trunk allowed vlan N,NN,NNN,XXX
switchport mode trunk
description used to test network VLAN XXX
switchport access vlan XXX
switchport mode access
no ip address
interface Vlan XXX
ip address 10.XXX.200.236 255.255.255.0
ip default-gateway 10.XXX.200.1
ip http server
ip http secure-server
snmp-server community public RO
snmp-server host 10.XXX.200.30 version 2c public udp-port 161
line con 0
line vty 0 4
transport input ssh
line vty 5 15
ntp server 126.96.36.199