A large number of users have reported seeing the message You don’t have permission to create an entry in this folder when trying to change data inside their Microsoft Outlook software.
The circumstances in which this happens are the following: two profiles using different Microsoft Outlook versions created two Microsoft Exchange Server accounts. A folder is created that can be seen by both users, but only one account has permissions to access it and change the information.
This error is caused by Outlook not being able to delete the stored cache when switching between accounts on the same profile. Because the account without permission tried first to access the folder created earlier, that account has momentary ownership of the folder, so the user with permission will see the same message.
In this article, we will explore the best troubleshooting methods to solve this issue. Read on to find out more.
What to do if you don’t have permission to create an entry in Outlook folder?
- Save your work and close the Outlook.
- Double-click on the Outlook executable file in order to open it again.
- This will clear the cache stored in Outlook.
- After the restart, make sure to try and access the folder created first with the account that has access to the resource. This will give that user full ownership of the created folder, so no error will appear.
- Open Outlook and choose the folder you want to modify permissions to.
- Right-click on it and select Properties.
- Inside the newly opened window, select the Permissions tab.
- Select the user to which you want to give permission to from the list.
- Under the Permissions section of the same window -> click the button to activate the drop-down menu -> select permission level (owner, editor, author, etc.)
- Click the Apply button.
- Check to see if the issue persists.
3. Uninstall and re-install Office 365
- Press Win+X keys -> select Apps and features.
- Scroll through the programs list, select Office 365 -> click Uninstall.
- Wait for the process to complete.
- Go to the Office website -> Sign in.
- Install Office 365 by following the on-screen instructions.
You can also uninstall Office by using specialized uninstaller software such as Revo Uninstaller. By using this software, you’ll ensure that Office 365 is completely removed from your PC along with all of its files and registry entries.
In this article, we explored some of the best methods to deal with the permission error in Microsoft Outlook, on Windows 10. Please make sure to follow the steps presented in this list in the order that they were written (from the least to the most complicated), to avoid any unnecessary issues.
Please feel free to let us know if this guide helped you solve your issue, by using the comment section found below.
- You can now use your finger or pen to ink in your Outlook emails
- Server execution failed Outlook Application error [EXPERT FIX]
- You’ll soon be able to share up to 5,000 folders on Outlook