In release 126.96.36.199, BI Publisher added a new feature – Delivery to Oracle Document Cloud Services (ODCS). Around the same time, BI Publisher was also certified against JCS 12.2.1.x and therefore, today if you have hosted your BI Publisher instance on JCS then we recommend Oracle Document Cloud Services as the delivery channel. Several reasons for this:
- Easy to configure and manage ODCS in BI Publisher on Oracle Public Cloud. No port or firewall issues.
- ODCS offers a scalable, robust and secure document storage solution on cloud.
- ODCS offers document versioning and document metadata support similar to any content management server
- Supports all business document file formats relevant for BI Publisher
When to use ODCS?
ODCS can be used for all different scenarios where a document need to be securely stored in a server that can be retained for any duration. The scenarios may include:
- Bursting documents to multiple customers at the same time.
- Invoices to customers
- HR Payroll reports to its employees
- Financial Statements
- Storing large or extremely large reports for offline printing
- End of the Month/Year Statements for Financial Institutions
- Consolidated department reports
- Batch reports for Operational data
- Regulatory Data Archival
- Generating PDF/A-1b or PDF/A-2 format documents
How to Configure ODCS in BI Publisher?
Configuration of ODCS in BI Publisher requires the URI, username and password. Here the username is expected to have access to the folder where the files are to be delivered.
How to Schedule and Deliver to ODCS?
Delivery to ODCS can be managed through both – a Normal Scheduled Job and a Bursting Job.
A Normal Scheduled Job allows the end user to select a folder from a list of values as shown below
In case of Bursting Job, the ODCS delivery information is to be provided in the bursting query as shown below:
Accessing Document in ODCS
Once the documents are delivered to ODCS, they can be accessed by user based on his access to the folder, very similar to FTP or WebDAV access.
That’s all for now. Stay tuned for more updates !