Failover issues with SGOS on ESX and Cisco

I need a solution

Hi there,

I’m having an issue with failover on two virtualized Symantec ( Bluecoat) proxies on two ESX hosts in two datacenters connected with Cisco switches.

I can see the Mulicast traffice leaving the proxy getting out into the world over the Cisco switches till the firewall blocks them. The packets should be delivered on L2 to the other switch to get into the other ESX-host on the other proxy running there.

But on the other host I don’t see any multicast-traffic incoming. Hence both feel responsible for the virtual IP what makes problems with Skype etc.

Did anyone have such an issue before? On ESX we activated promiscuous mode already for that vlan/subnet. But that didn’t change the issue.

The hardware proxies in the same network see the multicast-traffic incoming from the virtual machines and behave accordingly. As the virtual proxies don’t receive any multicast traffic they always assume to be master as the other one is not sending any updates.

I would understand that there might be an issue between the two Cisco-Switches that multicast traffic is not forwarded to the other. Other idea is – that there is a special setting on the ESX-Machine I’m not aware of? Any idea?

Thanks in advance,

Manfred

Related:

Leave a Reply