Who Should Install This Hotfix?
This is a hotfix for customers running XenServer 7.1 Cumulative Update 1. All customers who are affected by the issues described in CTX234679 – Citrix XenServer Multiple Security Updates should install this hotfix.
This hotfix does not apply to XenServer 7.1. You must apply Cumulative Update 1 before you can apply this hotfix.
Note: XenServer 7.1 Cumulative Update 1 and its subsequent hotfixes are available only to customers on the Customer Success Services program.
Information About this Hotfix
|Post-update tasks*||Restart Host|
|Content live patchable**||No|
|Revision History||Published on May 8, 2018|
|* Important: If you have previously disabled microcode loading on your XenServer host or pool. You must enable microcode loading again after applying this hotfix. For more information, see How to disable microcode loading on a XenServer pool.|
|** Available to Enterprise Customers.|
Issues Resolved In This Hotfix
This security hotfix addresses the vulnerabilities as described in the Security Bulletin above.
This hotfix also includes the following previously released hotfixes:
- CTX227235 – Hotfix XS71ECU1001 – For XenServer 7.1 Cumulative Update 1
- CTX228721 – Hotfix XS71ECU1003 – For XenServer 7.1 Cumulative Update 1
- CTX229066 – Hotfix XS71ECU1004 – For XenServer 7.1 Cumulative Update 1
- CTX230160 – Hotfix XS71ECU1008 – For XenServer 7.1 Cumulative Update 1
- CTX230788 SUPERSEDED – Hotfix XS71ECU1009 – For XenServer 7.1 Cumulative Update 1
- CTX231719 – Hotfix XS71ECU1010 – For XenServer 7.1 Cumulative Update 1
- CTX233365 – Hotfix XS71ECU1012 – For XenServer 7.1 Cumulative Update 1
Installing the Hotfix
Customers should use either XenCenter or the XenServer Command Line Interface (CLI) to apply this hotfix. As with any software update, back up your data before applying this update. Citrix recommends updating all hosts within a pool sequentially. Upgrading of hosts should be scheduled to minimize the amount of time the pool runs in a “mixed state” where some hosts are upgraded and some are not. Running a mixed pool of updated and non-updated hosts for general operation is not supported.
Note: The attachment to this article is a zip file. It contains the hotfix update package only. Click the following link to download the source code for any modified open source components XS71ECU1016-sources.iso. The source code is not necessary for hotfix installation: it is provided to fulfill licensing obligations.
Installing the Hotfix by using XenCenter
Before installing this hotfix, we recommend that you update your version of XenCenter to the latest available version for XenServer 7.1 CU 1.
Choose an Installation Mechanism
There are three mechanisms to install a hotfix:
- Automated Updates
- Download update from Citrix
- Select update or Supplemental pack from disk
The Automated Updates feature is available for XenServer Enterprise Edition customers, or to those who have access to XenServer through their XenApp/XenDesktop entitlement. For information about installing a hotfix using the Automated Updates feature, see the section Applying Automated Updates in the XenServer 7.1 Cumulative Update 1 Installation Guide.
For information about installing a hotfix using the Download update from Citrix option, see the section Applying an Update to a Pool in the XenServer 7.1 Cumulative Update 1 Installation Guide.
The following section contains instructions on option (3) installing a hotfix that you have downloaded to disk:
- Download the hotfix to a known location on a computer that has XenCenter installed.
- Unzip the hotfix zip file and extract the .iso file
- In XenCenter, on the Tools menu, select Install Update. This displays the Install Update wizard.
- Read the information displayed on the Before You Start page and click Next to start the wizard.
- Click Browse to locate the iso file, select XS71ECU1016.iso and then click Open.
- Click Next.
- Select the pool or hosts you wish to apply the hotfix to, and then click Next.
- The Install Update wizard performs a number of update prechecks, including the space available on the hosts, to ensure that the pool is in a valid configuration state. The wizard also checks whether the hosts need to be rebooted after the update is applied and displays the result.
- Choose the Update Mode. Review the information displayed on the screen and select an appropriate mode.
- Click Install update to proceed with the installation. The Install Update wizard shows the progress of the update, displaying the major operations that XenCenter performs while updating each host in the pool.
- When the update is applied, click Finish to close the wizard.
- If you chose to carry out the post-update tasks, do so now.
Follow the on-screen recommendations to resolve any update prechecks that have failed. If you want XenCenter to automatically resolve all failed prechecks, click Resolve All. When the prechecks have been resolved, click Next.
Note: If you click Cancel at this stage, the Install Update wizard reverts the changes and removes the update file from the host.
Installing the Hotfix by using the xe Command Line Interface
- Download the hotfix file to a known location.
- Extract the .iso file from the zip.
- Upload the .iso file to the Pool Master by entering the following commands:
(Where -s is the Pool Master’s IP address or DNS name.)
xe -s <server> -u <username> -pw <password> update-upload file-name=<filename>XS71ECU1016.iso
XenServer assigns the update file a UUID which this command prints. Note the UUID.
- Apply the update to all hosts in the pool, specifying the UUID of the update:
xe update-pool-apply uuid=<UUID_of_file>
Alternatively, if you want to update and restart hosts in a rolling manner, you can apply the update file to an individual host by running the following:
xe upload-apply host-uuid=<UUID_of_host> uuid=<UUID_of_file>
- Verify that the update was applied by using the update-list command.
xe update-list -s <server> -u root -pw <password> name-label=XS71ECU1016
If the update is successful, the hosts field contains the UUIDs of the hosts to which this hotfix was successfully applied. This should be a complete list of all hosts in the pool.
- If the hotfix is applied successfully, carry out any specified post-update task on each host, starting with the master.
|Hotfix File sha256||fc5f77170f261a308dda34624e67fd4704cbe1d7a48e58f2d83dd8c06f4e1942|
|Hotfix Source Filename||XS71ECU1016-sources.iso|
|Hotfix Source File sha256||def6fdd14ad790760d7a7f2a5017fa3895871e64b6ad6418f6b3fd1af02f84c2|
|Hotfix Zip Filename||XS71ECU1016.zip|
|Hotfix Zip File sha256||4e63fd5525554fda8a98c40473cb48c4891560b915dfff4be3e56a9c5794d709|
|Size of the Zip file||31.67 MB|
For more information see, the XenServer 7.1 Documentation.
If you experience any difficulties, contact Citrix Technical Support.