Use Distribution Groups to consolidate users into functional groups for more efficient account management. This feature is useful for managing large groups of users with similar folder access needs.
- Create a Distribution Group
- Send or Receive Files from Distribution Groups
- Add a Distribution Group to a Folder
Managing Distribution Groups requires the create shared distribution groups and edit shared distribution groups permissions
Distribution Groups and User Permissions
- Members added to the Distribution Group will inherit the folder access permissions of the group.
- Members removed from the Distribution Group will lose the folder access permissions given to that group.
- Permissions given on a folder to a distribution group will apply to every member. This includes notifications about downloads and uploads.
Create a Distribution Group
- People > Manage Users or Distribution Group
- On the Distribution page click on the Create Group button.
- The next page will allow you to name the group and give you the option to share the group with employees in your account.
- Click the Create Group button.
- Check the box beside Share this distribution group with all employees if you want users with the edit shared distribution group permission to be able to edit your group.
- On the Managing group page, you can add users with one of the following options:
- Click Add Member to enter a user’s email, name and company manually. Click the checkbox when done entering a single user’s information.
- Access the Add From drop down menu and choose Add from Personal Address Book or Add from Shared Address Book
- Access the Add From drop down menu and choose Add from Employee List
- Access the Add From drop down menu and choose Add from Excel. A template spreadsheet will be provided to you. Please fill in this spreadsheet and follow the instructions provided in the web app.
- Access the Add From drop down menu and choose Classic Bulk Add. You may enter users via email. Each entry should be on its own line. Entries should NOT be separated by commas. Entering first and last names for each entry is not required. To associate a first and last name with an entry, place the name in parentheses after the email address.
Once you have saved our Distribution Group, you can return to the Distribution Groups menu to modify your group as needed.
Sending or Receiving Files from a Distribution Group
You can select a Distribution Group as the recipient of your message when sharing or requesting files. Distribution Groups can be accessed via the Address Book icon. When receiving an email sent to an entire Distribution Group, your recipient will only see his or her own email address in the recipient field. For security purposes, recipients cannot view other email addresses that may have been sent the file.
A distribution group may be added to a folder in much the same way an individual user would be. Folder permissions can be customized across the distribution group. When receiving notifications sent to an entire Distribution Group, your recipient will only see his or her own email address in the recipient field. For security purposes, recipients cannot view other email addresses that may have received the notification.
Distribution Group FAQ
How many users can I add to a Distribution Group?
A distribution group can have a maximum of 2000 users.
I added a user to a folder when they already had access through a Distribution Group. What permissions apply?
The individual user’s access will override that of his/her group. Example: John Doe has Download permissions on a folder due to his membership in the Doe Distribution Group. You add John Doe to the folder manually, and grant him Upload permissions. He will have both Download and Upload permissions, even though his Distribution Group membership does not include Upload.
Generate a Group Membership List
To generate a membership list for your review, access People > Manage Users or Distribution Groups. Click on the group name to access it. Access the Generate Report drop-down menu and choose Export Group List. Once the list is generated, a spreadsheet will be downloaded to your local computer.
Generate a Folder Access report
A Folder Access report shows which folders and permissions the Distribution Group has access to. To generate a folder access report for your review, access People > Manage Users or Distribution Groups. Click on the group name to access it. Access the Generate Report drop-down menu and choose Folder Access. You may print this list for your records.