The affected processors with microcode 0x600063e (or later) do not have the Light-Weight Profiling (LWP) feature which was present in previous microcode versions. Therefore, if you live migrate a VM running on a host that has the LWP feature to a host that does not have this feature, migration fails with a VM_INCOMPATIBLE_WITH_THIS_HOST error.
This issue occurs on AMD processors noted above with an updated microcode (version 0x600063e). The microcode version can change when you update your BIOS, install a XenServer update, or upgrade your XenServer host to a newer version.
Note that the following XenServer updates contain affected AMD microcode versions:
- Hotfix XS70E060 – For XenServer 7.0
- Hotfix XS71ECU1026 – For XenServer 7.1 Cumulative Update 1
- Hotfix XS74E006 – For XenServer 7.4
- Hotfix XS75E004 – For XenServer 7.5
Releases of XenServer up to XenServer 7.5 do not include the affected AMD microcode until you apply one of the updates listed above.
To check the CPU microcode version:
- On a XenServer host, open a local shell and log on as ‘root’.
- Run the following command:
# cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep microcode