This article describes how to apply Central Installation Directory (CID) based Remote Management System (RMS) configuration, which is useful in several circumstances:
- Changing the ParentAddress / ParentRouterAddress after a server migration
- Changing ParentRouterAddress to use a message relay
- Changing the ParentAddress / ParentRouterAddress when the server IP address is behind a NAT firewall
- It is not possible to change the ports used by RMS with this method.
The following sections are covered:
Applies to the following Sophos products and versions
Sophos Anti-Virus for Linux
Sophos Anti-Virus for Unix
The method will depend on whether endpoint installations have already been deployed or not:
- Option 1 – Pre-Installation (mrinit.conf)
Before installation, edit the
mrinit.conffile in the root of the CID. Eg:
SophosUpdateCIDsS000savlinuxmrinit.confIf using this method, you must uninstall Sophos Anti-Virus from any endpoint that has already used the existing mrinit.conf, and re-install afterwards.
- Option 2 – Post-Installation (mrinit.custom)
To centrally edit RMS information on existing endpoints, you can create a mrinit.custom which will be selected in preference to mrinit.conf.
Make a copy of
mrinit.confand edit the required values (eg. ParentAddress, ParentRouterAddress). Save the new file as
mrinit.customin the root of the CID. Eg:
Endpoints will automatically select mrinit.custom when they next perform an update from the CID.
If you are familiar with ConfigCID.exe it should be noted that this is not required/will not work in the scenario above.;
If you’ve spotted an error or would like to provide feedback on this article, please use the section below to rate and comment on the article.
This is invaluable to us to ensure that we continually strive to give our customers the best information possible.