Event ID 7040 — Windows Search Service Integrity
Updated: January 12, 2009
Applies To: Windows Server 2008 R2
The Windows Search service indexes information about the contents of your hard disk to facilitate your searches, making them much faster and more accurate.
|Message:||The index contains data that cannot be read. The search service will attempt to automatically correct this problem. If this error persists, remove and recreate the index.%1|
Manually rebuild the index
To perform this procedure, you must have membership in Administrators, or you must have been delegated the appropriate authority.
To delete the catalog and rebuild the index:
- Click Start and then click Control Panel.
- In Classic View of the Control Panel, double-click Indexing Options.
- Click Advanced.
- If the User Account Control dialog box appears, confirm that the action it displays is what you want, and then click Continue.
- On the Index Settings tab, click Rebuild.
- Click OK.
To verify that files are being indexed:
- Click Start and then click Run.
- In the Run dialog box, type notepad.exe. Notepad should open.
- Type an unusual keyword or phrase in the new document, and then save the file to your My Documents directory or to another directory that is being indexed.
- Click Start, and then type your new keyword or phrase in the Search box. The file you created using Notepad should appear in the Search Results window.
Related Management Information