A number of users have reported seeing the error message You don’t have permission to book this resource whenever they try to book a room (or other assets), by using the Outlook Exchange.
This issue is caused by migrating the room mailbox from an on-premises location to the Outlook Exchange Online service. When the move is performed, the permissions of the server need to be assigned again to avoid this issue.
This error message can cause a lot of confusion, as the initial settings of the local room mailbox seem to be in order at first glance. Even though that is the case, these features become inactive for security reasons. This protects the information stored on the servers from any third-party that wants to extract that information.
For these reasons in this article, we will explore several troubleshooting methods to deal with this issue. Please follow the steps described in this guide closely to avoid any other issues.
How to fix You don’t have permission to book this resource error?
1. Assign corresponding permissions of the room mailbox to your Exchange Online account
- Log into the Exchange Admin Center with your administrator account.
- Navigate to Recipient -> Resources.
- Double-click the room mailbox.
- Inside the pop-up window that appears, select Mailbox Delegations.
- Add your administrator account inside the Full Access blank space.
- Click on the Save button.
- Open Room Mailbox again and check to see if the issue persists.
Note: It is recommended that when performing these above steps, you use a private browsing session. Press CTRL+SHIFT+P for Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Edge, and Internet Explorer. For Google Chrome press CTRL+SHIFT+N.
- Log into your Open Room mailbox account.
- Select Options -> Resource Schedule page -> Add your account to the list.
- Inside your Outlook (with admin access) -> right-click Calendar -> select Data Properties.
- Inside the Permissions tab -> add the users with the appropriate access level -> click Save.
- Try to see if the issue persists.
Another possible reason for this error message could be caused by users trying to book rooms with 1 year before the preset time limit. This information can be checked by going to Portal ->Exchance -> Recipients -> Calendar -> Edit booking options.
In this article we explored a quick fix for the error You don’t have permission to book this resource when trying to reserve a room or other assets on Exchange Online.
Because this issue is caused by porting the data storage from local to cloud, the problem can be fixed by re-allowing the access for each of the users inside your Microsoft Exchange Admin Center.
Please feel free to let us know if this guide helped you solved your problem, by using the comment section found below.
- 5 best anti-spam software for your Exchange email server
- Google Calendar and Microsoft Exchange now support real-time free/busy lookups
- 9 best antivirus for Exchange 2013 to secure your mail servers