You can never really predict when something will go wrong with Outlook. The extremely user-friendly and efficient email client can easily get bogged down due to several reasons causing a complete halt to the mail send-receive operation. More often than not, the cause behind an ill-functioning Outlook application is a damaged PST file. Here in this article we will explain about the methods to solve the “error detected in Outlook PST file”.
As inconvenient as encountering an error like this is, what’s more unpleasant is the effect of such a happening. From a failed send-receive operation to an Outlook crash to complete mailbox inaccessibility, you could end up facing any depending upon how bad the situation is. And by “situation” here we mean damage in your Outlook PST file.
So why do PST files become corrupted?
There could be many reasons triggering PST file corruption:
- Bad sectors on the hard drive on which the PST file is saved
- Abrupt termination of Outlook
- Virus infection in the file
- Overload of data within a single PST
- Botched system recovery operation
A quick look at the above causes is enough to understand that many of them are unpreventable. While a simple anti-virus update or procurement of a UPS may keep two triggers at bay, other unwanted situations might arise without any apparent doing of your own. That was probably why Microsoft decided to ship a default PST repair utility with its MS Office application suite.
ScanPST.exe and its usage
The Inbox Repair Utility or ScanPST.exe that Microsoft provides is a handy way to detect and fix minor damages and corruptions within Outlook PST files. This application is the simplest way to perform a basic recovery operation on PST files in order to revive a failing Outlook. Here’s how you can use this utility to fix a damaged PST:
1. Navigate to C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOffice 12 and double-click on the file ScanPST.exe
2. Click on ‘Browse’ and select the PST file which is to be repaired
3. Click on ‘Start’ to instruct the tool to scan the file for damages. If any discrepancies are found, the tool will display a proper message indicating as much as well as a prompt to repair the file
4. Select the option to ‘Make a backup of scanned file before repairing’ and then click on ‘Repair’ button to fix the problems within the PST
5. When the operation completes, re-launch Outlook and verify if everything works as expected.
While this approach is extremely simple and of course free of cost, it suffers from a few limitations:
- The tool needs you to know exactly where the damaged PST file is located. Some users might not be aware of it
- It is a time-consuming process
- ScanPST.exe cannot fix severe corruptions within PST files
A better approach
In order to overcome the limitations of ScanPST.exe and to make the repair operation much more efficient and easy, the usage of an advanced and sophisticated Outlook PST repair tool is recommended. Such a tool can not only simplify the process, it can ensure that your Outlook PST is rid of all problems in the most non-destructive way without causing any unintentional harm to the data contained within.
Among the wide variety of PST repair applications available online, the most reliable and proficient one is Stellar Phoenix Outlook PST Repair. This software is a competent and reliable way to rid a severely damaged PST file of errors and make Outlook function smoothly. The tool is backed by some very intricate algorithms that enable it to quickly scan corrupt PST files and repair them to restore all mailbox contents to a new blank PST in their original format. Additionally, the software comes with a ton of impressive features which make it a must-have for all Outlook users.
There can be multiple reasons for Outlook data file (PST) corruption which lead to Outlook crashing with the “error detected in Outlook PST file” message. While some underlying problems can be fixed by just upgrading your Outlook or antivirus version, others might need you to repair the damaged PST file with ScanPST.exe. But if that doesn’t work, without any hesitation you should entrust the job of accurately and safely repairing the file to Stellar Phoenix Outlook PST Repair software.