Due to the recent announcement by SolarWinds regarding compromises in their supply chain, SolarWinds has released a security advisory providing guidance on assessing and remediating this issue: https://www.solarwinds.com/securityadvisory
Cisco recommends that customers assess if they have used an affected version of SolarWinds Orion Platform and, if so, take the following actions:
- Follow the guidance provided in the SolarWinds Security Advisory.
- Determine the need to change credentials on all devices being managed by the affected SolarWinds platform software. This includes:
- User credentials
- Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) version 2c community strings
- SNMP version 3 user credentials
- Internet Key Exchange (IKE) preshared keys
- Shared secrets for TACACS, TACACS+, and RADIUS
- Secrets for Border Gateway Protocol (BGP), OSPF, Exterior Gateway Routing Protocol (EIGRP), or other routing protocols
- Exportable RSA keys and certificates for Secure Shell (SSH) or other protocols
While there are no vulnerabilities in Cisco products related to this issue, if a customer was using an affected version of SolarWinds Orion Platform and would like to investigate potential impact to Cisco devices, Cisco has published a number of documents that can help the investigation. Please consult https://tools.cisco.com/security/center/resources/ir_escalation_guidance.
Cisco TALOS has also published guidance regarding this issue that can be viewed here: https://blog.talosintelligence.com/2020/12/solarwinds-supplychain-coverage.html
Customers that need assistance with Incident Response activities can contact Cisco TALOS here: https://talosintelligence.com/incident_response
Cisco will update this advisory as needed, if additional information becomes available.
Security Impact Rating: Informational