Who Should Install This Hotfix?
This hotfix is for customers who use XenCenter as the management console for XenServer 7.2. It constitutes two deliverables:
|File Name||Description||Download Link|
|XenServer-7.2.0-XenCenterSetup-7.2.1.msi||This file updates the XenCenter installation on your Windows machine.||DOWNLOAD|
|XS72E003.zip||The download attachment issued with this hotfix updates the server-side copy of XenCenter in a XenServer 7.2 installation||See the hotfix Download attachment|
Note: Hotfix XS72E003 updates the version of XenCenter included in the XenServer 7.2.0 Base Installation ISO. This updated version of XenCenter MSI is the same as the latest version of XenCenter available to download from the XenServer 7.2 Product Download page. Note that updating XenCenter on your Windows machine does not replace the copy of XenCenter (v7.2.0) on the Control Domain (dom0) of the XenServer 7.2.0 host. Customers must install hotfix XS72E003.zip to update the copy of XenCenter installed on the dom0 of the XenServer 7.2.0 host.
Information About XS72E003
|Contains Live Patch:||No|
|Revision History:||Published on NOV 17, 2017|
Issues Resolved In This Hotfix
This hotfix addresses following issues:
- Fixed an issue to enable rolling pool update by using XenCenter from XenServer 7.1 Cumulative Update 1 to XenServer 7.2.
- Fixed an issue where a local SR with VDIs on it might be destroyed when performing a host upgrade with a multipathed root disk.
Updating XenCenter on your Windows machine
- Download XenServer-7.2.0-XenCenterSetup-7.2.1.msi to a known location.
- Double click XenServer-7.2.0-XenCenterSetup-7.2.1.msi.
- Click Run to start the Citrix XenCenter Setup wizard.
- Click Next to continue and follow the instructions on the Setup wizard.
- When you have finished making any modifications to the installation directory settings, click Install to start the installation.
- Click Finish to exit the XenCenter Setup wizard.
Installing the Hotfix
Customers should use either XenCenter or the XenServer Command Line Interface (CLI) to apply this hotfix. When the installation is complete, see the Post-update tasks in the table Information About this Hotfix for information about any post-update tasks you should perform for the update to take effect. As with any software update, back up your data before applying this update. Citrix recommends updating all hosts within a pool sequentially. Upgrading of hosts should be scheduled to minimize the amount of time the pool runs in a “mixed state” where some hosts are upgraded and some are not. Running a mixed pool of updated and non-updated hosts for general operation is not supported.
Installing the Hotfix by using XenCenter
Choose an Installation Mechanism
There are three mechanisms to install a hotfix:
- Automated Updates
- Download update from Citrix
- Select update or Supplemental pack from disk
The Automated Updates feature is available for XenServer Enterprise Edition customers, or to those who have access to XenServer through their XenApp/XenDesktop entitlement. For information about installing a hotfix using the Automated Updates feature, see the section Applying Automated Updates in the XenServer 7.2 Installation Guide.
For information about installing a hotfix using the Download update from Citrix option, see the section Applying an Update to a Pool in the XenServer 7.2 Installation Guide.
The following section contains instructions on option (3) installing a hotfix that you have downloaded to disk:
- Download the hotfix to a known location on a computer that has XenCenter installed.
- Unzip the hotfix zip file and extract the .iso file
- In XenCenter, on the Tools menu, select Install Update. This displays the Install Update wizard.
- Read the information displayed on the Before You Start page and click Next to start the wizard.
- Click Browse to locate the iso file, select XS72E003.iso and then click Open.
- Click Next.
- Select the pool or hosts you wish to apply the hotfix to, and then click Next.
- The Install Update wizard performs a number of update prechecks, including the space available on the hosts, to ensure that the pool is in a valid configuration state. The wizard also checks whether the hosts need to be rebooted after the update is applied and displays the result.
- Choose the Update Mode. Review the information displayed on the screen and select an appropriate mode. If the update contains a live patch that can be successfully applied to the hosts, it displays No action required on the Tasks to be performed screen.
- Click Install update to proceed with the installation. The Install Update wizard shows the progress of the update, displaying the major operations that XenCenter performs while updating each host in the pool.
- When the update is applied, click Finish to close the wizard.
- If you chose to carry out the post-update tasks, do so now.
In addition, the Install Update wizard checks whether a live patch (this is an Enterprise Edition feature) is available for the hotfix and if the live patch can be successfully applied to the hosts. For more information, see Live Patching in XenServer in XenServer 7.2 Installation Guide.
Follow the on-screen recommendations to resolve any update prechecks that have failed. If you want XenCenter to automatically resolve all failed prechecks, click Resolve All. When the prechecks have been resolved, click Next.
Note: If you click Cancel at this stage, the Install Update wizard reverts the changes and removes the update file from the host.
Installing the Hotfix by using the xe Command Line Interface
- Download the hotfix file to a known location.
- Extract the .iso file from the zip.
- Upload the .iso file to the Pool Master by entering the following commands:
(Where -s is the Pool Master’s IP address or DNS name.)
xe -s <server> -u <username> -pw <password> update-upload file-name=<filename>XS72E003.iso
XenServer assigns the update file a UUID which this command prints. Note the UUID.
- Apply the update to all hosts in the pool, specifying the UUID of the update:
xe update-pool-apply uuid=<UUID_of_file>
Run the following command if you would like to apply the hotfix for a individual host
xe update-apply host-uuid=<UUID_of_host> uuid=<UUID_of_file>
Alternatively, if you need to update and restart hosts in a rolling manner, you can apply the update file to an individual host by running the following:
xe update-apply host-uuid=<UUID_of_host> uuid=<UUID_of_file>
- Verify that the update was applied by using the update-list command.
xe update-list -s <server> -u root -pw <password> name-label=XS72E003
If the update is successful, the hosts field contains the UUIDs of the hosts to which this patch was successfully applied. This should be a complete list of all hosts in the pool.
- If the hotfix is applied successfully, carry out any specified post-update task on each host, starting with the master.
|Hotfix File sha256||cf1dac45f5eebcf50835f04e5f80be238d1e437204b16820efc4447ba65df89f|
|Hotfix Source Filename||XS72E003-sources.iso|
|Hotfix Source File sha256||d8175813afd1967a1fd535a1f97643e96f411c79c826d1fb87c1a092c1ea331b|
|Hotfix Zip Filename||XS72E003.zip|
|Hotfix Zip File sha256||4c6a3f0d0730a467ae305c8630b90b6969159d14354fd6a6d06980bc529e3310|
|Size of the Zip file||51 MB|
For more information see, XenServer 7.2 Documentation.
If you experience any difficulties, contact Citrix Technical Support.