Oracle Security Alert for CVE-2012-1675
This security alert addresses the security issue CVE-2012-1675, a vulnerability in the TNS listener which has been recently disclosed as “TNS Listener Poison Attack” affecting the Oracle Database Server. This vulnerability may be remotely exploitable without authentication, i.e. it may be exploited over a network without the need for a username and password. A remote user can exploit this vulnerability to impact the confidentiality, integrity and availability of systems that do not have recommended solution applied.
Affected Products and Versions
- Oracle Database 11g Release 2, versions 220.127.116.11, 18.104.22.168, 22.214.171.124
- Oracle Database 11g Release 1, version 126.96.36.199
- Oracle Database 10g Release 2, versions 10.2.0.3, 10.2.0.4, 10.2.0.5
Since Oracle Fusion Middleware, Oracle Enterprise Manager, Oracle E-Business Suite include the Oracle Database component that is affected by this vulnerability, Oracle recommends that customers apply the solution for this vulnerability to the Oracle Database component.
Supported Products and Versions
Security Alert solutions are provided only for product versions that are covered under the Premier Support or Extended Support phases of the Lifetime Support Policy. We recommend that customers plan product upgrades to ensure that Security Alert solutions are available for the versions they are currently running.
Product releases that are not under Premier Support or Extended Support are not tested for the presence of vulnerability addressed by this Security Alert. However, it is likely that earlier versions of affected releases are also affected by this vulnerability.
Supported Database is patched in accordance with the Software Error Correction Support Policy explained in My Oracle Support Note 209768.1. Please review the Technical Support Policies for further guidelines regarding support policies and phases of support.
Products in Extended Support
Security Alert solutions are available to customers who have purchased Extended Support under the Lifetime Support Policy. Customers must have a valid Extended Support service contract to apply Security Alert solutions for products in the Extended Support Phase.
Recommendations for protecting against this vulnerability can be found at:
- My Oracle Support Note 1340831.1 for Oracle Database deployments that use Oracle Real Application Clusters (RAC).
- My Oracle Support Note 1453883.1 for Oracle Database deployments that do not use RAC.
Please note that Oracle has added Oracle Advanced Security SSL/TLS to the Oracle Database Standard Edition license when used with the Real Application Clusters and Oracle has added Oracle Advanced Security SSL/TLS to the Enterprise Edition Real Application Clusters (Oracle RAC) and RAC One Node options so that the directions provided in the Support Notes referenced above can be applied by all Oracle customers without additional cost.
Note: Please refer to the Oracle licensing documentation available on Oracle.com regarding licensing changes that allow Oracle Advanced Security SSL/TLS to be used with Oracle SE Oracle Real Application Clusters and Oracle Enterprise Edition Real Application Customers (Oracle RAC) and Oracle RAC OneNode Options.
Due to the threat posed by a successful attack, Oracle strongly recommends that customers apply this Security Alert solution as soon as possible.
- Oracle Critical Patch Updates and Security Alerts main page [ Oracle Technology Network ]
- Oracle Security Alert CVE-2012-1675 Solution Documents [ My Oracle Support Note 1340831.1 and My Oracle Support Note 1453883.1]
- Oracle Critical Patch Updates and Security Alerts – Frequently Asked Questions [ CPU FAQ ]
- Risk Matrix definitions [ Risk Matrix Definitions ]
- Use of Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) by Oracle [ Oracle CVSS Scoring ]
- English text version of the risk matrix [ Oracle Technology Network ]
- List of public vulnerabilities fixed in Critical Patch Updates and Security Alerts [ Oracle Technology Network ]
- Software Error Correction Support Policy [ My Oracle Support Note 209768.1 ]
|2014-June-20||Rev 3. Added 188.8.131.52 as affected version|
|2012-May-01||Rev 2. Updated Supported Products and Versions section|
|2012-April-30||Rev 1. Initial Release|
Oracle Database Server Risk Matrix
The English text form of this Risk Matrix can be found here.
|CVE#||Component||Protocol||Package and/or Privilege Required||Remote Exploit without Auth.?||CVSS VERSION 2.0 RISK (see Risk Matrix Definitions)||Supported Versions Affected||Notes|
|Base Score||Access Vector||Access Complexity||Authentication||Confidentiality||Integrity||Availability|
|CVE-2012-1675||Listener||Oracle Net||None||Yes||7.5||Network||Low||None||Partial+||Partial+||Partial||10.2.0.3, 10.2.0.4, 10.2.0.5, 184.108.40.206, 220.127.116.11, 18.104.22.168, 22.214.171.124|