Event ID 1116 — Remote Desktop Services Printer Redirection
Published: January 8, 2010
Applies To: Windows Server 2008 R2
Remote Desktop Services provides printer redirection, which routes printing jobs from a server to a printer that is attached to a client computer or to a shared printer that is available to the client computer. When a user establishes a remote session with an RD Session Host server, the redirected printer will be available to applications running in the remote session.
By default, an RD Session Host server that is running Windows Server 2008 or Windows Server 2008 R2 first tries to use the Remote Desktop Services Easy Print driver. If the client computer does not support this driver, the RD Session Host server looks for a matching printer driver installed on the RD Session Host server. You can either install a matching printer driver on the RD Session Host server, or you can create a custom printer mapping file.
|Product:||Windows Operating System|
|Message:||The printer %1 cannot be redirected by using Remote Desktop Easy Print. The client computer may not have a version of the Remote Desktop Connection client or Microsoft .NET Framework installed that supports this driver.|
Install the required components
To resolve this issue, the following components must be installed on the client computer:
- Remote Desktop Connection (RDC) 6.1 or later
- Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 with Service Pack 1 (SP1)
Note: The RDC 6.1 (6.0.6001) client and later supports Remote Desktop Protocol 6.1.
Refer to the following sections to check which version of the components are currently installed on the client computer. If you need to download a newer version of either of the required components, see the Microsoft Download Center Web site (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=102026).
Check the version of Remote Desktop Connection
To check the version of Remote Desktop Connection on the client computer:
- On the client computer, click Start, click Run, type mstsc.exe, and then click OK.
- Click the icon in the upper-left corner of the Remote Desktop Connection dialog box, and then click About.
- The version will be listed in the About Remote Desktop Connection dialog box. If RDC 6.1 is installed, the version number will appear as 6.0.6001.
Check the version of .NET Framework
To perform this procedure, you must have membership in the local Administrators group, or you must have been delegated the appropriate authority.
To check the version of .NET Framework on the client computer:
Caution: Incorrectly editing the registry might severely damage your system. Before making changes to the registry, you should back up any valued data.
- On the client computer, open Registry Editor. To open Registry Editor, click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
- If the User Account Control dialog box appears, confirm that the action it displays is what you want, and then click Continue.
- Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v3.0\Setup
- Locate the Version entry, and then view the value for the entry in the Data column. The value should be at least 3.0.04506.620.
- If the value is less than 3.0.04506.620 or the v3.0 registry subkey does not exist, .NET Framework 3.0 SP1 is not installed on the client computer.
To verify that printer redirection is working properly, establish a remote session with the RD Session Host server and check that the redirected printer is available and is functioning as expected.
Related Management Information