Event ID 4008 — Unused Language Pack File Deletion
Updated: December 16, 2008
Applies To: Windows Server 2008 R2
Unused language pack files are automatically deleted from your computer. LPRemove is the program that automatically runs in silent mode during the boot process to perform this task.
|Product:||Windows Operating System|
|Message:||lpremove failed launching lpksetup failed|
Ensure Lpremove is scheduled to run and check the logs
An error occurred while Lpremove was deleting the unused language files on the computer. You should ensure that Lpremove is enabled in Task Scheduler.
To check if Lpremove is enabled to run:
- Open Task Scheduler. (Click the Start button, type task scheduler in the Start Search box, and press ENTER)
- In the left pane, expand Task Scheduler Library, expand Microsoft, expand Windows, and then click MUI.
- Verify that the status of Lpremove is Ready.
- If the status is Ready, then restart your computer and Lpremove will run again.
- If the status is not Ready, then you will need to enable it. To do this, right-click Lpremove and click Enable. Then restart your computer and Lpremove will run again.
If you continue to receive this error, check Event Viewer for Lpksetup-related events that occurred at the same time as this error.
To check Event Viewer for Lpksetup-related events:
- Open Event Viewer. (Type Event Viewer in the Start Search box and press ENTER)
- In the left pane, expand Applications and Services Logs, expand Microsoft, expand Windows, and click LanguagePackSetup.
- Double-click Operational.
- Click to sort the events based on the Date and Time column.
- Review the events that occurred at the time you received this error.
- If there is not another error in the LanguagePackSetup events that caused this error, then broaden the scope to review any errors that occurred at the same time as this error.
To verify that Lpremove has run successfully:
- Click the Start button, type regedit in the Start Search box, and press ENTER.
- If you receive a message from User Account Control, click Continue.
- Check the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\MUI\UILanguages key. If the language that Lpremove should have removed is not listed, then Lpremove has run successfully and deleted the unused language pack files.
Related Management Information