Event ID 201 — BITS Client Connectivity
Updated: December 13, 2007
Applies To: Windows Server 2008
In order for the BITS client to successfully complete files transfers, the client must be able to connect to a BITS server that is available on the network.
||Windows Operating System
||The BITS job named “%1” was unable to contact any HTTP proxy server in its proxy list. This may indicate a problem with the proxy servers or with the client’s network configuration. An administrator should verify whether the proxy list is correct. BITS will periodically try to transfer the job. The HTTP proxy list is “%6”. The proxy-bypass list is “%7”.
Ensure that the HTTP proxy is configured correctly
To resolve this issue, check the proxy settings for the job by using the BITSAdmin tool and correct settings if needed.
BITSAdmin is a command-line tool that you can use to create download or upload jobs and monitor their progress. The \Support\Tools\Support.cab file on the operating system installation CD contains the BITSAdmin tool.
To perform this procedure, you must have membership in the local Administrators group, or you must have been delegated the appropriate authority.
To ensure that the HTTP proxy is configured correctly:
- Open an elevated command prompt. To open an elevated command prompt, click Start, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as Administrator.
- BITSADMIN /GETPROXYUSAGE job
- BITSADMIN /GETPROXYLIST job
- BITSADMIN /GETPROXYBYPASSLIST job
- Check whether the proxy settings are appropriate for your environment.
- If the proxy settings are incorrect, use the BITSAdmin tool to configure the correct proxy settings.
- To display usage for BITSAdmin settings, type:
- BITSADMIN /SETPROXYSETTINGS job usage
The choices for usage are:
PRECONFIG: Use the owner’s Internet Explorer defaults.
AUTODETECT: Force autodetection of proxy.
NO_PROXY: Do not use a proxy server.
OVERRIDE: Use an explicit proxy list and bypass list. Must be followed by a proxy list and a proxy bypass list.
NULL or “”: May be used for an empty proxy bypass list.
bitsadmin /setproxysettings MyJob PRECONFIG
bitsadmin /setproxysettings MyJob AUTODETECT
bitsadmin /setproxysettings MyJob NO_PROXY
bitsadmin /setproxysettings MyJob OVERRIDE proxy1:80
bitsadmin /setproxysettings MyJob OVERRIDE proxy1,proxy2,proxy3 NULL
Confirm that the proxy servers support HTTP 1.1 RANGE requests. If RANGE requests are enabled, BITS will automatically retry the job.
Related Management Information
BITS Client Connectivity